Thursday, March 20, 2014

No-poo

Switching to no-poo hair care was kind of a gateway DIY project for me.  All over the internet I had read about people opting out of shampoo/conditioner and opting in to baking soda/vinegar instead.  Chemically-laden store-bought hair products, even the natural ones, are pretty unhealthy for our bodies.  Interestingly, so many anecdotes I came across told of hair becoming less greasy when they gave up “poo,” because their scalps no longer had to over-produce oil to make up for what they kept stripping away.  People with dry, itchy heads also report improvement. 
I love this recipe because it is so easy and doesn’t have anything artificial in it.  It is good for the health my family and our environment.  The banking soda and vinegar are produced in the US and come in easily recyclable containers.  They also happen to contain the same cleaners I use on the shower, and that doesn’t hurt either. 

Shampoo
1 part baking soda to 3 parts water
Put into a bottle with a small hole for distributing.  I use the spout of an old dishsoap container.  Shake before using.  Leave in for about a minute while you soap.  Rinse.

Conditioner
1 part apple cider vinegar and 4 parts water, essential oil.

Use a bottle like the one for your shampoo.  The one I use is pretty spacious so I use 1/3-1/2 c vinegar, and 5-10 drops of lavender essential oil.  Shake, administer and rinse.

No comments:

Post a Comment