Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Rules

My husband arrived home and I was a little nervous yet very excited to tell him about my idea.  He looked at me,… paused, and said, "Yeah, I don't think I'll do that."

Well, dang.  That is not what I had planned but it's still a doable challenge.  We'll have to establish some shared ground rules and understand, meanwhile, that we'll have some exclusive governances.  It may be hard, or at least a little awkward, but not impossible.

So, aftermuch thought, I've decided that the rules that I'll be living by are as follows:
  • No buying any new things for a year except for edibles (with a  couple of exceptions* for hygiene and transportation).  
  • I will not be buying used things.   No new things, even things that are just new to me.
  • Included in this challenge are all of my cleaning supplies for self and home.    I must make everything I use out of edibles, unless I really can't find an adequate recipe that contains all edibles. Then I can make the supply of some non-edible ingredient.
*About the exceptions-  I'm allowing myself to buy (recycled) toilet paper and garbage bags, though a big bonus to this project will be lowering the about of garbage my family produces.  Gas for my car is a big one that I am not excited about adding to the exception list, but my older son is in childcare that we all love and are not willing to part with.  The only thing I do not love about his pre-school is that we cannot walk there.  We are, regardless, going to keep him in that program and continue to be able to work.

The rules that my husband will be living by:
  •  Basically just because he can buy things, he can't buy anything for me.  This may seem like an obvious rule, but I feel like it should be said out loud.  He can buy all of the disposable diapers he wants, but I cannot use them.  
Feeling just a bit nervous and alot of happy about the project, so we start! 

No comments:

Post a Comment